Thought I’d rank some Smallville episodes after watching the first four seasons. Would love to hear your opinions Smallville fans.
1. ”Transference” Episode 6, Season 4: Yet one of these classic Trading Places scenarios. This time its Lionel Luther who is imprisoned and has got his hand on a Kryptonite rock that make two persons souls switch. By mistake he switches body with Clark instead of Lex which was the original idea. What really stands out is the good acting from Tom Welling and John Glover I am normally not a super big fan of them but here they show really good diversity when playing and mimicking each other. The episode is also filled with really funny confusion humor, almost slapstick (in a good way).
2. ”Red” Episode 4 Season 2: The description from Imdb is very accurate: ”Clark gets his Smallville class ring, but these rings contain RED KRYPTONITE making him turn into DARK CLARK.” This is one of the funniest storylines in the entire show since Clark tend to be a bit boring when being himself. When he is exposed to Red Kryptonite he becomes the opposite of his normal prude self. I also really like when he gets very abusive verbally to everyone (Very much like Angelus in Season 2 of BTVS).
3. ”Obsession” Episode 14 Season 3: Clark is saved by a girl with Kryptonite powers when he is in an elevator accident. They start to date and its all hunky dory and sweet before she goes Fatal Attraction on him and begins stalking him and attack Lana in a jealousy rage. What stands out here is Clark and Alicia’s chemistry with the first scene being a great example when hugging him sensuous while teleporting to safety. Normally its Clarks who is the active one and its nice to see a girl being the one taking the initiative (Lana certainly never does) for a change.
4. ”Craving” Episode 7 Season 1: Amy adams plays a overwight girl who stumbles upon a way to lose weight by eating a diet shake consisting of vegetables brought up in Kryptonite soil. Soon she discovers that the new metabolism actually craves human fat so she decides to snack on a guy that have been bullying her. Great fat suite effects but also some really strong scenes of binge eating. I can’t remember when I last saw such a good educational (subliminal) episode in such a mainstream TV-series.
5. Pilot Episode 1 Season 1: Really good opening episode that manage to plant a lot of the legacies from the start. Like the eternal love story of Clark and Lana, Lex vs Clark, Kryptonite and its effects etc., I think it was a wise choice making the Kryptonite as fundamental as they did, letting it affect more characters than Clark.
6. ”Exodus” Episode 23 Season 2: Good season finale that makes it here because a really dark ending where Clark exposes himself to the Red Kryptonite to escape mentally after causing his foster moms miscarriage by mistake. Smallville could have needed more episodes as genuinely dark as this one.